Skip to main content
Celebrating six decades of cooperation
Painting of Archie HarknessErie 1 Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) was established in December of 1957 as a way for local school districts to collaborate on educational offerings while reducing their individual expenses. At that time, Erie 1 BOCES’ board of education meetings were held at various school buildings within Williamsville and Amherst.
Mr. Archie Harkness was the first district superintendent of Erie 1 BOCES. He served in that role for five years from 1958-1963. In 1962, a building on Aero Drive in Cheektowaga was named after Archie Harkness. At the March 20, 1962 board meeting, the minutes stated, “The Board of Cooperative Educational Services would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. A.W. Harkness, District Superintendent, for his outstanding accomplishments, leadership, sound judgment and his forward attitude in the field of Educational Services and by showing their esteemed gratitude by naming our building The Harkness Center.”
Today that building is still in use by Erie 1 BOCES and it is known as the Harkness Career & Technical Center. In addition, 19 school districts are now components of Erie 1 BOCES. Those districts are able to enroll in a variety of instructional and non-instructional services offered by Erie 1 BOCES.
< Back  |  View All Articles